Last week my friend Mark Silverberg (Believing the Line) and I were bemoaning the difficulty of actually
sitting down and writing poetry, and he suggested we collaborate, a thing of
which I have very little experience and he has much. (See, for example The Antigonish Review #172, which includes three poems co-written by Mark, and Sean Howard.)
“Sure,” I
said, “but how will we start, let alone go on?”
Then I
bethought myself of something George Elliot Clarke recommended at a workshop I
took with him in 2007 – get A Handlist of
Rhetorical Terms, and practice using each term.
So that’s what Mark and I are doing these days.
I suggested
we start with something straightforward, like syllogisms. We borrow a line we’ve heard from someone
else, and let that be our first statement. Then one of us comes up with the
second statement, and the other finishes it with the conclusion.
Silly me; none of
this is going to be very straightforward.
After
producing two-and-a-half attempts Mark mentioned in an email (we’re doing all
this electronically): “I'm not sure if we're actually doing syllogisms, but I
suppose we're doing something”. He’s not wrong. I’m pretty sure what we’re
producing aren’t exactly syllogisms, because, well…
Syllogisms treat
language as reductively logical: A equals B.
Language is
metaphorical in poetry: B is more than A in C.
Therefore,
straight-up syllogisms are rarely poetry: A is a limited subset of C.
So far, the process has been eye-opening, and the results unexpected.
(I’m not posting any examples because we might want to publish some of them
sometime, and putting stuff on the internet qualifies as a “previous
publication” as far as most periodicals are concerned. Also, it’s early days
yet; they’re first drafts, not finished poems. Also, too, we might need to get
permission to use the borrowed lines.)
No comments:
Post a Comment