Well, the first step to promoting your work online is
obviously to get people to read what you have written. Personally, I’m a little
skeptical about putting my work on the Internet, especially excerpts from my
unfinished book, call me paranoid, but I have a great fear of being
plagiarized. As for poetry, I’m a little less worried. There are communities of
poets online that help each other out and do creative workshops and help you
with the publishing process. However, I get the impression that some of these
websites may not be trustworthy. Showing your work before it is published can
be scary, showing it to the wrong eyes can potentially mean ‘getting robbed’.
Nevertheless, some
of these websites are trustworthy. When it comes to promoting any kind of
creative writing online, according Dr. Kathy Mac, you need to look for websites
with editors, but not just people who say they are editors, individuals with
real credentials. See what those editors have published, read some of what they
have written.
If the right eyes
fall upon your work, you can potentially get it published. There is one
particular website that I feel fills the criteria, although I’m still not confident that it’s the real deal. On ‘Writing-World.com’ http://www.writing-world.com/index.shtml
they have many experts that give general tips about various things related to writing.
Unfortunately, the only editor that website brought me to was Sigrid Macdonald.
But I did a bit of research on her, and all seems in order. Author of three
books that I found on Amazon, and has written many reviews and articles that I
unfortunately have not been able to find. When we talk about sending your work
out to be read, I don’t see any place where this website allows you to submit.
In the same way that they send you to that editor, they send you to another
website for submissions http://www.writing.com/?rfrc=wworld2
. Yet from this link, I saw nothing about editors. I’m increasingly starting to
distrust this website.
I got one here for you, instantpublisher.com. I don’t see
the word ‘editor’ anywhere on their website either http://www.instantpublisher.com/default.asp
.
I know I’ve used examples of places where you shouldn’t
send your writing. I wish I could tell you about one specific website that can
really be trusted when it comes to promoting your writing, but truth be told,
this is new to me as well and I wouldn’t want to direct you into a trap.
Nevertheless, the general message of my blog is, you must be
careful about where to send your work for promotion.
Interesting, Edrick!
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on this, though -- I'm too paranoid that I'll be robbed of my unpublished work!
Another way to promote your work online (which I am doing right now) is to start a blog. It's called platforming. You can put up short excerpts and ask for opinions and critiques, or just raise awareness that you're coming out with a killer book. On mine I plan to have things like character interviews and things like that. So technically people could steal your character, but not your entire story. I've been a little braver and have actually posted ideas, excerpts, etc. And I've actually been contacted by a number of "fans" and published authors with ideas and support. If anyone is interested in this and wants an example here's my blog: zaramorrison.wordpress.com
ReplyDelete